That’s right, this is going to tell you the hard truth about makeup. As much as I am SUCH a hypocrite in that I have more makeup than anyone, I still do have a couple of ideas in order to tighten up makeup collections and help rationalize not buying more. Time to control yourself and learn to manage with what you have.
First things first, take all of your makeup OUT of your current storage. This way, you will be able to see everything you have, including things you may have *ahem* forgotten about. Next, conquer your storage compartments. Clean them out, take a Lysol wipe to them and make sure to clean up all the old, spilled makeup.
- Part ONE- Look at your foundations. Any that are your wrong shade? Any empty bottles? Throw it out. Have you found a certain brand that you like? Make sure you have enough.
- Part ONE A- Look at your eye and face primers. Ask the same questions as above and continue to throw out old or empty tubes. I feel like as avid makeup users, we tend to accumulate samples and different types of products just to have them. Break the habit! It’s not worth the space or the money!!
- Part TWO- Check your bronzers and blushes. Do you have two of the same? Is there a shade you didn’t like and just kept? Guess what? Different stores that sell makeup do indeed have a return policy. If you waited a while after your purchase, you lost out on your money. Learn to speak up! You don’t like something? RETURN IT.
- Part THREE- Okay, confession time. Eye shadows are my kryptonite. I am SO weak..SO weak. Le sigh. Look through them, I know it’s hard…but just do it. If you find a palette or shade you don’t use, throw it out. I wouldn’t suggest giving it to a friend, because of germs, but if you haven’t used it…go ahead! I stick to Urban Decay eye shadows…if you like a specific brand, just stick to your colors. Let’s face it, you’re never going to try that hip, cool, and new way of doing your eyes…so let’s stop fooling ourselves.
- Part FOUR- Lipstick. My love, my obsession, my downfall. Last thing to look at would be your lipstick collection. I know, I know…open each lip color and see if you’ve used it…if you don’t recognize it, guess what? You haven’t used it…throw it out. If you have three kinds of the same pink or red…give one to a friend.
I know it’s hard to hear…but as I’m writing this I’m laughing. I actually SHOULD do this. By minimalizing your collection, you will be able to be more organized and more prone to use the products you already have, instead of buying more because you can’t see the ones you already have.
…I know what I’m doing tonight. Do you?