With the holiday season just around the corner, I figured I would share some interesting ideas for NOT going into debt this year. I know we all want to pamper and spoil our loved ones, but there comes a time that you have to draw the line inbetween being generous and being insane.
For those who have a big heart, but not a big paycheck: read on…
- Take cash out before a shopping trip and put in an envelope. Leave your credit cards at home and only use you alotted money that you have budgeted yourself.
- Use apps and websites like RetailMeNot, Hautelook, Ruelala, and Looksy to get great, designer looks for less.
- Never buy full price. Ever. Don’t do it. You’ll regret it. Do you hear me?
- If there is something major that you are buying for somebody, shop around. Instant gratification is not a feeling you want while holiday shopping. You’ll end up finding the exact item somewhere else for $100.00 less. Believe me, it happens.
- Do not procrastinate. Start thinking about gifts now. If you aren’t exchanging gifts, think about what you and your loved ones will be doing instead. Dinner? Great…get a reservation ready. Movie Outing? Even better…start making plans.
This year, I started saving for presents in August. I used my savings account as a safe haven for my money (literally). Today, I “cashed out” and once the money arrives into my checking account, I will be on my way to the bank with a crisp envelope ready to withdraw it!
Shopping on a budget isn’t the most fun. I know we would all love to have an endless amount of money, with sales and beautiful items at our fingertips ready for us to buy…well, the latter actually exists, but you get what I mean. This isn’t dream land, and we don’t have an endless supply of money.